1.2 What To Gather (and Where To Get It) Before You Start To File

In order to complete you taxes, there are certain pieces of information that you need.

This checklist gives you a basic list of the documents required to complete your taxes, where you need to get them, and other documents you might need depending on your circumstances

Note: This is not a complete list, but covers the basics that an average person would need for a plain easy peasy return.

  • 1098-T: This form tells the IRS how much you paid in tuition and fees. Your school completes it and mails it to you or a parent. You need to include it when you file your taxes.
  • 1098-E: Did you pay any interest on student loans last year? If so, your loan servicer should mail you this form. Include this with your tax filing to deduct interest payments from your taxes.
  • 8863: Download and complete this form to see if you qualify for tax credits for college students.
  • W-2: If you made $600 or more at work last year, your employer must provide you with a W-2. This form will show if you had any income tax withheld. Make sure you include it when you file your tax return.