2.2 Filing Taxes for Free and Affordable Help
Free Filing for Both Federal and State Taxes
- Credit Karma Tax
- Jackson Hewitt
- Tax Slayer
- IRS Free File: If your adjusted gross income is less than $73,000, you qualify for free guided tax preparation through an IRS partner site.
- H&R Block: This service allows you to prepare your state and federal taxes for free. It includes forms that are helpful for student taxes, such as tuition deduction forms. You can also purchase time with a tax pro for extra help.
- Cash App Taxes: Cash App allows you to file a federal and one state tax return for free. There are no extra charges. However, you don’t have the option of filing multiple state tax returns or talking to a pro.
Free Filing for Federal But Charge an Additional Cost for State
- FreeTaxUSA: Here, you can file federal taxes for free. State taxes cost about $15 to file. There’s a $7 fee for live customer support, which can help if it’s your first time filing taxes.
- TaxAct: TaxAct offers a free option for federal tax preparation that caters to dependents and current students. It’s $40 to file state taxes.